Web Publishing Instructions
ACCOUNTS & ROLES
This website operates under WordPress with different types of users who are able to login and create content. Please click here for more information on User’s Roles and Capabilities
- STUDENTS may be granted access to the website as “Contributors” only. This means their posts will need to be approved to become public.
- FACULTY may be granted access as “Authors”.
All accounts are created by the website administrator, upon which users will receive a temporary password by email. Once received, go to www.arch.rpi.edu, scroll down to the bottom of the home page and click in “Log In”. Sign up using your current RPI ID and the temporary password. Upon login there should be menu at the right, there:
- Click in “Profile” and CHANGE THE PASSWORD. (If lost, click in “forgot password”)
- Click in “Posts”. There users can:
- Create a new post or
- Open a preexisting draft post. Complete and edit.
- Save the post.
- Once completed, it will be revised by the Editors and published online.
1) OPEN > 2) CUT & PASTE INTO A NEW POST > 3) EDIT > 4) SAVE
PREPARING IMAGES FOR WEB
File size is critical for a quick image download, more than 72dpi is a waste of bandwidth. The maximum image size that will be accepted is 645 W x 366 H pixels [IMAGE RATIO 16:9].
Preparing image for web is best done using Photoshop’s Save for Web feature. Please see next some quick instructions:
- Select the images which you would like to best represent your work.
- Drag/open those images in Photoshop.
- Under the Crop Tool, type 3 for the width and 2 for the height. These will serve as the proportioning guidelines for your image sizing.
- Under ‘File,’ select ‘Save for Web & Devices’ or just ‘Save for Web.’
- When the window pops up, wait for the image to load. Some files may be large and it may take a while for the image to load.
- Under ‘Preset,’ select ‘JPEG’ for the Image Type and ‘High’ for the quality of the image.
- Under the dimension sizing for the images:
- Length: 650
- Height: 366
- Save as a new image, close, and do not save changes to the original file.
ALTERNATE SIZE IMAGES
- Home Page Slider (13:7 ratio) = W 650pixels x H 350pixels
- Slideshow Image (3:2 ratio) = W 640pixels x H 427pixels